Your website is often the first impression of your business, so it's important to make it count. A well-designed website will be easy to navigate, visually appealing, and informative. It should also be optimized for search engines so that potential customers can find you easily.
Here are 27 research-backed web design tips to help you create a website that works:
1. Make it easy to navigate. Your website's navigation should be clear and concise, with easy-to-understand labels. Visitors should be able to find the information they're looking for quickly and easily.
2. Use high-quality visuals. Visuals play an important role in web design. Use high-quality images, videos, and graphics to make your website visually appealing and engaging.
3. Write clear and concise content. Your website's content should be easy to read and understand. Use simple language and avoid jargon.
4. Optimize your website for search engines. Use relevant keywords throughout your website and make sure your website is mobile-friendly.
5. Make your website accessible. Your website should be accessible to all users, including those with disabilities. Use clear and concise language, and avoid using images without descriptive text.
6. Use a consistent design. Your website should have a consistent design throughout. This includes using the same fonts, colors, and layout on all pages.
7. Use white space effectively. White space is the empty space between elements on your website. Use white space effectively to make your website look less cluttered and more inviting.
8. Use a call to action on every page. Tell your visitors what you want them to do on every page of your website. This could be anything from signing up for your newsletter to making a purchase.
9. Test your website regularly. Test your website regularly to make sure it's working properly and that visitors can find the information they're looking for easily.
Here are 20 additional research-backed web design tips:
10. Use a consistent font throughout your website.
11. Use a font size that is easy to read.
12. Use high-contrast colors for text and backgrounds.
13. Use left-aligned text for paragraphs.
14. Use bulleted and numbered lists to break up text and make it easier to read.
15. Use headings and subheadings to organize your content.
16. Use images and videos to break up your text and make it more engaging.
17. Use captions and alt text for your images.
18. Use a responsive design so that your website looks good on all devices.
19. Make sure your website loads quickly.
20. Use a social media integration to make it easy for visitors to share your content.
21. Avoid using too much animation or flash.
22. Avoid using too many pop-ups or ads.
23. Make sure your website is mobile-friendly.
24. Test your website on different browsers and devices.
25. Get feedback from others on your website's design and functionality.
26. Keep your website up-to-date with fresh content and new features.
27. Promote your website through social media, email marketing, and other channels.
By following these 27 research-backed web design tips, you can create a website that works for your business and your visitors.